Satellite
  • Day 150

    Hobbiton

    February 19, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    FANBOY POST!!! (Claire had nothing to do with this nonsense!)

    On Thursday I had the honor to visit the Hobbiton movie sets where most of the outside action in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit trilogies within the Shire were shot. It was SO COOL!! And totally not overpriced *cough*. 44 Hobbit holes were built here, all with incredible attention to detail in a kind of romanticized 17th century agricultural setting. Very Picturesque.

    There are differently sized ones. The smaller scaled ones were used to shoot scenes with normal sized characters like Gandalf to make them look bigger and the big ones to make Hobbits look smaller. Inside they all are empty as the inside action was filmed in the studios in Wellington.

    You get to see Bagend, Sam's home, the place where Gandalf let's off some fireworks for the kids, Bilbo jumps over the fence in the first Hobbit etc. Really great to see all those places for Nerds like me. But there were mostly normal people in my group ;).

    Being there just wants you to read the books and watch the movies all over again. Did i mention that it was SO COOL?
    Read more