Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Richelieu Rock (Phinisi, day 6)

    February 16, Andaman Sea ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    The Phinisi motored all night north past the Similan Islands almost to the Burmese boarder, stopping once, to pick up another Diver at Patong who's incoming flight was late arriving.

    By 8am we had finally arrived at "Richelieu Rock" near Mu Ko National Park islands. Sadly, we decided it best to take the day off to recuperate from our ear and sinus issues 👂🥴, with a hint from the tour leader that we'd be diving this location a few times.

    The name of the Hin Plo Naam "rock", only seen at low tide, was named after Andreas du Plessis de Richelieu, who was a Danish naval officer and businessman who became a Siamese admiral and minister of the navy. He was also responsible for his service in charting and gaining the international recognition for Thai water boundaries.

    Unfortunately the dives weren't as amazing as the others had expected due to poor visibility. There were a few other boats in the area, but it didn't appear too busy like compared to the dives areas further south.

    Later in the day "The Junk", the sister boat to Phinisi, met up with us at Richelieu Rock. Soon after we departed for Koh Surin islands for the last two dives, and to shelter for the night. Though we weren't diving it was a relaxing day on the ocean with great food and some books to read.
    Read more