Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Koh Surin Islands (Phinisi, day 7)

    February 17 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    The boat started to motor early in the morning, back to Richelieu Rock. Upon arrival, found a number of other boats already anchored. We stayed on deck to continue recuperating from the sinus issues 🫣, and just as well as it appears the visibility hadn't improved much from the day before 😔. The main sight for the divers was a large school of midsized barracuda that were hanging about.

    We did get to see a pod of dolphins 🐬 breaching near the boat, and a hawk that zig-zagged above. Only a couple of other boats in the area that may have enjoyed the rare sightings, as we did.

    Late afternoon found us anchored in a bay near the Moken community on the east side of Koh Surin Tai. Apparently the people originated from Burma, and lived as sea gypsies till they decided to make a permanent settlement. There are a number of documentaries about them, like "Vanishing World of the Sea Gypsies".

    The boat then relacated to Torinla Reef of the east side of Koh Torinla Surin Island for the evening dive, returning to a sheltered area for the night.

    Without the four dives a day, we relax and have lots of time to rest, read novels and enjoy small samples of the delicious food created by the kitchen team onboard 🍲🤤 Life's great, even if it's plan B 👍
    Read more