Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    The Killing Fields

    March 20, 2019 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Hard to imagine the horror and difficulties that happened in Cambodia in the 70s.

    Pol Pot, triumph over the French and Americans, but yet disastrous towards his own people.

    The Cambodian genocide killing fields are a number of sites where collectively more than a million people were killed and buried by the Khmer Rouge regime under ruling of Pol Pot.
    Under order, they arrested and eventually executed almost everyone suspected of connections with the former government or with foreign governments, as well as professionals and intellectuals.
    The judicial process for minor or political crimes, began with a warning. People receiving more than two warnings were sent for "re-education", which meant near-certain death by torture. The executed were buried in mass graves in order to save ammunition, the executions were often carried out using poison, spades or sharpened bamboo sticks.
    Hard to think that a country can endure such dark times and yet ive not met an Cambodian without a smile on their face.
    A lesson for all, no matter your circumstances, life is worth living and cannot be taken for granted.
    Read more