Satellite
  • Day 17

    Morning at the Zoo

    January 14, 2021 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    After the gold museum yesterday, I went back to the hotel with some beer and empañadas and hung out at the pool and jacuzzi. There I met a couple from Pennsylvania who come down here for their dental work. This is another indication to me that CR is the Americas' Thailand, just much more expensive.

    I watched CNN, the only English TV channel, and toasted the House of Representatives, particularly the 10 Republicans, for impeaching the president...again. History...again.

    This morning I went to the Simón Bolívar Park National Zoo and Botanical Garden. It is small, but well laid out. And although a few animals weren't on display, most notably the kinkajou, I was able to see a jaguar and an ocelot, two of the five cats in CR. I also saw a sleeping tapir, which wasn't on display but could be seen just barely around the back of the bathrooms. I though it was interesting, though, that they had a sign for the American Crocodile but not one for the alligator. I guess they don't think anyone will notice.

    [If you don't know at least one difference, then watch (hopefully again) Robin Williams's movie Jumanji:
    Sarah Whittle : "Alan, you wrestled an alligator for me."
    Alan Parrish : "It was a crocodile. Alligators don't have that little fringe on their hind leg."
    🤣🤣]

    Now I'm eating lunch at...yes...McDonald's. This country has great french fries, but these are just the regular McDonald's ones, so ugh. The burger was good though, a McNífica, with lettuce, tomato, and onions. Basically, it's the Royal if you're in Europe. (Good on you if that made you remember Pulp Fiction. I guess it's movie quote day 🤣.)

    Pura vida!

    P.S.: I just learned that the US will make all arriving international travelers pass a COVID test before boarding their inbound flight. But it doesn't start until 26 Jan, so I won't have to take one to get back. 😁
    Read more