Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 304

    Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

    June 18, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 54 °F

    We said a sad goodbye to Olon (with each of us crying as we drove inland from the ocean) and took on an overnight flight from Guayaquil, through Quito and to Buenos Aires.

    After months in Olon, which lacks commerce and decent wine, it was overwhelming to spend time in a huge city! Kyla loved the coffee, I loved the wine, and Talia loved that places don’t open for dinner until 8pm and she stayed up past midnight most nights.

    Highlights included a tour of Jewish sites led by a woman whose family fled Syria in the 1890s and has been in Buenos Aires ever since. She relayed her stories about being only blocks from the bombing of the Jewish federation building in the 1990s. Interestingly, she really did not want to talk about Eichmann or other nazis who found shelter in Argentina.

    In addition to exploring the Jewish neighborhood, our guide also took us to the colorful La Boca neighborhood, government buildings, a cool bookstore, Eva Perón’s grave and some other sites. Importantly, she also recommended the only tango show in Buenos Aires that starts before 9pm, which we thought would be good for talia. Of course, when we arrived, we found out the sound system wasn’t working and we were sent to a show that began at 9:30 and ended at midnight. Talia loved it.

    Other highlights included a planetarium, a strange zoo (in which many animals roamed free) and lots of good food. We stuffed ourselves with so much red meat in our first few days, that we ended our time in Buenos Aires with two meals at a vegetarian restaurant near our Airbnb.

    Overall, we had a lot of fun in Buenos Aires, but we are excited to get out of the city and head back to natures at our next destination— Iguazú Falls.
    Read more