Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2- Zaragoza Highlights

    August 14, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    An early morning dog walk along the Ebro River kicked off our first full day here in the 5th largest city in Spain. Conveniently located in the historic district, our apartment here in Zaragoza is just steps away from the central Mercado and Roman ruins.

    Determined to see the top architectural sites and in spite of the forecast of temperatures climbing to 106 degrees, we set off early for the grand Basilica de Nuestra Señora Pilar. Lonely Planet refers to this as a “great baroque cavern of Catholicism”. It’s believed that Mary appeared to St James the Apostle on top of a pillar and the rest of this incredible building was built up around this sacred stone. It didn’t disappoint. A glass elevator carried us to a birds-eye view of the northwest tower which allowed a great view of the colorful mini-domes and city below.

    Lunch involved a tapas crawl in the famous El Tubo food district. Sin Nombre Tapas Creativas boasted fried artichoke hearts with jamon, pork and mushroom Wellington and a scrumptious veggie empanada (the photos don’t do them justice!) We chose seafood tapas at the next stop a few doors down. If only all tapas restaurants were this creative! Thank goodness we’re doing a lot of walking.

    Unfortunately tickets to the Aljeferia Palace we’re sold out. We had been excited to visit this fortified medieval palace built during the second half of the 11th century. Oh well, we will just have to return at some point in the future! Zaragoza reminds us of Cadiz, a bit worn on the edges but full of life and rich in history.
    Read more