Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3- Zaragoza to San Sebastian

    August 15, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Our last stop before leaving Zaragoza this morning was the Museo de Pablo Gargallo which featured art by this 20th century Spanish sculptor in a Renaissance-style palace. This charming boutique museum was deserted at 10am on a Sunday morning so we had all 5 floors to ourselves; the photos don’t do his work justice.

    After a thankfully uneventful drive we arrived in San Sebastián (the ‘ol girl has been displaying a service engine warning light ⚠️ so there will definitely be a Volvo dealer garage in our very near future). It is is 40 degrees cooler here than in Zaragoza - a welcomed relief!

    We are staying right on the Plaza de Constitution in the Old Town and using this as our base to explore the area for the next 3 days. This plaza has an interesting history. If you look closely you can see numbers above each window on the square. These correspond to individual spectator balconies when this was a bullring.

    San Sebastián is touted as Europe’s top city for foodies and we’re excited to see if the food actually lives up to this reputation. The four tapas we shared were super and the cheesecake was unlike any we have ever sampled…. super light (fluffy almost- think cheese soufflé), and so flavorful. No need to douse it with fruit or cherry sauce. We are convinced there was a small amount of goat cheese in the recipe… but the waitress wasn’t forthcoming. It was subtle but enough to make the flavor unique (nothing like the typical imitation Spanish cheesecake made with gelatin, read not worth the calories!)

    If tonight was any indication of what’s to come over the next 72 hours, this will be an amazing epicurean adventure!

    Our day ended with a stroll around the old town where we saw couples dancing in a park. Thankfully there are still many Covid safety restrictions in place here (with the majority of people wearing masks on the crowded walking streets even though Spain is currently leading the EU in vaccinated numbers). As we slowly emerge from this pandemic it is heartwarming to see dancing like this once again!
    Read more