Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Madness of Akihabara

    September 20, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    So after another fish and rice breakfast tray, we headed out to adventure through Akihabara, the tech district of Tokyo.

    Visually, it lived up to the hype, although it was mostly geared towards anime, which all looks the same to me (shush, Noah, I know what you're thinking; I'm not racist).

    The tone was set when we entered a multi-story tech block, which looked innocuous enough, only to find out it had a certain 'adult slant'. The anime sign out the front held some clues, which we narrowly avoided before pivoting in the doorway... nope, nope, nope. Not child-friendly!

    The trend continued as we tried to find the Stella Cafe on the eighth floor of an anime games building. We began to suspect from the sus game posters lining the stairwell and dark curtains covering the doorways on the fourth and fifth floors that the Stella Cafe was not as innocent as it seemed. We should have listened to our hunch. One hundred steps up, one hundred steps down and 100% trust destroyed for anything above three floors in Japan.

    But we had fun banging drums on level four of a multistory claw machine store. The kids tried their luck at the games to win some sus-looking dolls to no avail, so we bailed for a cold drink/coffee at a ground-floor cafe and regrouped. I was eyeing Travelator sushi as Noah said he missed Gracie, which gave me an idea.
    Read more