Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    A Hidden Oasis: Meiji Shrine

    September 19, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Realising we lost an hour operating on Perth time, we had to hoof the 8 km to get to Meiji Shrine before it closed. Thank goodness we were all caffeinated because it was a power walk for the ages, albeit a beautiful one as part of the journey was through Yoyogi Park, Tokyo's equivalent of Kings Park.

    Within minutes, we were transported from the visual assault that was Shibuya to an oasis akin to rural Japan. It was totally surreal to go from walking shoulder to shoulder with thousands of others to gravel crunching underfoot in leafy tree-lined paths. We really wanted to slow down and take it all in, but there was no time. Stairs were climbed two at a time, photos were taken on the hop and vending machines were pillaged at top speed.

    With a literal minute to spare, we and this cute little shuffling old dude (going top speed at 0.5km an hour) slipped past the guard as he was putting up the closing gates at the temple's entrance. Inside, the mood was serene as we were transported back to a different era. We browsed past the Wishes Board full of traveller's prayers and paid our respects at the shrine. Photos of the shrine are forbidden and they take this very seriously. A guy holding a sign had to politely insert it in front of tourists' camera lenses despite the fact it was impossible to miss. It made us cross to see people deliberately disrespecting Japanese culture; I mean, it wasn't a big ask.

    Wishing we could stay just a few more minutes, we were ushered out to enjoy the 3km walk to the park exit. Wandering out, dreaming of burgers, Noah's feet definitely did not hurt. I mean, he may have mentioned it a few times, but at 19,000 + steps, most of them bloody stairs, I reckon he has good cause to want a little lie-down. Thankfully, the subway station greeted us as we emerged from the park's serenity, and after jumping a few subway trains, we emerged back in our new home suburb for Freshness Burgers (Japan's leading burger chain).

    Noah's rating of his sip of Dad's Asahi was "aghhhhhhhhh". I think we all made similar noises as we crawled into bed that night.
    Read more