Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 6

    Cádiz, Spain

    31. lokakuuta 2019, Espanja ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Our final port of call on mainland Europe was another one that we'd not been to before. With our ship docked close to the city, we headed off on foot after getting some proper sustenance at the Lido Marketplace.

    After checking out the Monument to the Constitution of 1812 — in Plaza España — we cut through town to reach the waterfront promenade for a scenic stroll that took us through Alameda Garden to our destination — Parque Genoves ... the city's largest greenspace. Very charming with topiary trees ... our only disappointment being that the waterfall had been turned off.

    The next stop was Playa de la Caleta further along on the waterfront promenade. On a sunny and warm day, Mui likely would have gone for a dip ... not today, though. Cutting through the residential neighborhoods, we eventually found ourselves at the public market where we wandered around for a bit before continuing on to Cathedral Square.

    Then, off we went to get a bite to eat at Taberna la Sopresa, a tapateria hidden from the crowds on a side street. The proprietor did not speak a word of English, but we managed just fine in this eatery frequented primarily by the locals.

    We wrapped up our day in Cádiz with a stroll back to the ship ... stopping to check out the Roman ruins on our way to the Town Hall Square where we sat down at a sidewalk café to enjoy dessert and tea.

    My only regret ... we didn't get to a high point for the iconic view of the city's narrow streets designed so as to provide maximum shade from the buildings that line them ... a must in this city where the summer sun makes for unbearably hot days. All the more reason to visit again someday.
    Lue lisää