Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Change of Scenery

    April 5, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 55 °F

    Stay @ home order day 11.

    We have a couple of great weather days to take advantage of before the next forecasted snow falls in Colorado Springs. So, we decided that we were due a change of scenery.

    The plan was to drive over to the Air Force Academy (USAFA) and walk around one of the lakes on base. No can do ... the grounds are apparently closed during the pandemic to all but those on official business. Alrighty ... we’ll switch plans.

    A quick drive from USAFA’s south gate to the north gate took us to the New Santa Fe Regional Trail. The parking lot is outside the base, so no problems accessing the dirt path that runs parallel to USAFA. I have no idea how long the trail is ... though we did pass a marker indicating we were at milepost 47. In any event, we were out for about two hours.

    The path is fairly level, but the area is at around 7,000 feet elevation. So we took it easy, enjoying the fantastic weather and the amazing scenery ... including Pike’s Peak peeking out from behind the nearby mountain range. I don’t know if we reached the day’s projected high of 66F while we were walking, but it sure was warm enough to shed my jacket shortly after we got started. We weren’t alone on the trail. There were other walkers and quite a few bikers ... but none that we saw except in passing.

    After our walk, we drove back home for a quiet afternoon. I had hoped to sit out on the deck, but there was a stiff breeze coming off the plains. OK ... plenty to do indoors, anyway. I went to my office to process photos. Mui went to his desk to do some grocery shopping ... on the Sprouts website. We do a lot of online shopping, but this is the first time he’s using a delivery service for groceries. We’ll see how it works out.

    All in all ... a good day.

    Stay safe ... stay healthy.
    Read more