Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Fun Memorial Sneak-Peek & Chores

    27. Mai 2020 in den USA ⋅ 🌧 72 °F

    After a good night’s rest, we were up and at ‘em bright and early as usual.

    It was a tad bit cool to eat breakfast outside at the picnic table, but we’d be making up for that by enjoying our tea on the patio later. And lunch as well.

    A shakedown cruise means lots of chores around the Cruiser. But before getting started on the work part of our day, we went off for a walk first. Today, we opted to wander over to the retention pond that’s a short distance from the famcamp.

    The view of the mountains reflected on the water at the pond is one of my favorite sceneries on the USAFA campus. The water was much lower than we’ve seen it before ... that might change if we get the forecasted amount of rain that is due into the area late this afternoon.

    Somehow, our walk segued over to Falcon Stadium. We’ve wandered around inside the stadium before, but it’s closed to the public at present. Yes ... because of that pandemic thing that continues to plague us.

    We managed to get close enough to the stadium to see something we’d not noticed before ... the names of a couple of military campaigns ... Berlin Airlift, and operations Allied Force, Desert Storm, Inherent Resolve, and Linebacker II. I did a little digging on the internet and learned that these are memorials honoring airmen who fought in campaigns around the world. When completed, there will be about 20 such memorials on the walls between the tiers of seats. The plan is to unveil the memorial once COVID-19 abates. I guess you could say that we got a sneak preview today.

    What was to have been an hour-long hike ended up being twice as long. But we enjoyed walking somewhere other than in our neighborhood. Good thing we made the most of the morning sunshine as the big golden orb is playing hide-and-seek with the clouds now. And it is raining at the moment. Just a light pitter-patter. An earthy smell in the air. A delightful breeze.

    I’ll continue to sit outside under the awning until the rain drives me indoors. Maybe that won’t be a bad thing. After all, we have chores to do, don’t we?

    Stay safe ... stay healthy.
    Weiterlesen