Satellite
Show on map
  • Lathrop SP D2 ... Cuerno Verde Trail

    July 13, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    This day included walking … and driving. This day included very hot temps … and quite cool temps. This day included sunshine … and rain accompanied by clouds. This day included low elevations — 6,440 feet … and it included high elevations — 11,743 feet. In other words, it was a day of contrasting experiences.

    I’m going to split the story of our day into two footprints. Here’s part I.

    With high temps forecasted, we headed out for a walk bright and early — around 6:30a … well before breakfast. To get to the trailhead, we drove down to Lake Martin, the smaller of the two lakes at Lathrop SP.

    Why drive? So as not to waste time and lose the precious cool morning temps. It was 69F … quite comfortable. A light breeze accompanied us as we set off on the Cuerno Verde Trail, which rims Lake Martin. That clouds filtered the sun’s rays was a blessing as they delayed the oppressive heat

    The concrete trail, which is at 6,440 feet elevation, is flat and easy. Just what we needed. The Spanish Peaks were clearly visible in the distance … as were several other mountains that I identified using the PeakFinder app on my phone. We stopped frequently at first to take photos, detouring down paths to the edge of the water or to check out the many picnic shelters placed strategically along the shoreline. Eventually, our stops became fewer and shorter until finally, we were maintaining a steady pace as we made our way around the 3-mile long trail.

    By the time we were half-way around, the clouds had parted to reveal the sun. The temperature rose quickly … humidity along with it. It wasn’t too uncomfortable … just noticeable. Near the boat ramp, we found the swim beach where the trees were mirrored on the calm surface of the water. Neither one of us is a “lake swimmer” so we kept going after a brief photoshoot involving the only critters we saw this morning ... Canada geese.

    We returned to the Cruiser around 8:00a. The temp was now almost 80F. With no shade on the patio, we had to eat indoors. During breakfast, we discussed our plans for the rest of the day. If we’d been in the Phaeton, we likely would have stayed put. But the Cruiser does not encourage sitting idly inside. So, around 10:15a, we headed out for a drive.
    Read more