Satellite
Show on map
  • Lathrop SP Camping ... Cutting It Short

    July 15, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    When we set out on this camping trip, we intended to stay until Friday. Today is Wednesday and we're already home. A couple of things played into our decision. Chief amongst them ... the weather.

    There was the hot temps, of course. The forecast for Walsenburg was 90F ... cooler in Colorado Springs. In fact, it didn't even reach 80F at home. And once the daily rains came through, our temp dropped like a rock, cooling down into the 60F range. So refreshing.

    The rainstorm — complete with thunder, lightning, hail, and high winds in the mountain — was the other reason we decided to call it quits early. The storm was forecasted to be impact 4 ... on a scale of 5. That was going to make going into the mountains in search of cooler temps iffy. Visiting an indoor museum — requiring advance reservations — and wandering around with who knows how many others in an enclosed space held no appeal either. Best to go home.

    The good news? The gals at the park office agreed to refund us for the two nights we would not be staying, so no $ loss from our decision to leave early.

    We're considering some changes to our camping plans, so not sure when we'll be taking the Cruiser out for a spin again, but most likely it will be before the end of July.
    Read more