Satellite
Show on map
  • Dry Camping @ Prospector ... Day 2

    July 28, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Woke up to a temp of 51F ... a little cool, but nothing that could not be rectified by running the propane furnace for a couple of minutes to break the chill. The best news ... the batteries were still near the 13V mark.

    The plan for today was to head over to Breckenridge to spend time with Sonia and Boris. So, off we went after breakfast for our 9:00a date to walk around their neighborhood ... 4 miles @ 9,600 feet of altitude. Though our route was paved all the way, it was also uphill ... until we got to the turnaround point of the loop. A good cardio workout made all the more pleasant because we had great company.

    After our walk, we returned to their digs and enjoyed catching up for a while. Mui and Sonia had agreed that she'd be cooking today ... and Mui would be doing so tomorrow. A light lunch consisting of a delicious pumpkin soup and a very tasty pasta salad left us all comfortably sated.

    After lunch, Sonia and Boris followed us back to the campground so they could see our home on wheels. As luck would have it, the heavens opened up on the way there ... and it didn't stop until after they left!

    Normally, we're out and about during the day and return to spend a quiet evening at home ... reading, writing, watching a little TV. Since we have no electric hook-up on this camping trip, we decided to jiggle things around so that the solar panels have time before nightfall to top off the house batteries after whatever power we drain using our electronic devices.

    With that in mind, after the Gelmans left, we watched a couple of episodes of a TV show I had downloaded from Netflix (no TV signal with the roof-top antenna), and then I did a bit of journaling on the laptop .... and a bit of web surfing (excellent T-Mobile signal). That done, we left our electronics to be charged up, and went off to explore the area.

    The afternoon rainstorms that are prevalent in the mountains were done for the day. The sun was peeking out from behind the clouds more than it was hiding. The temperature was quite comfortable. Perfect conditions to take a walk.

    Driving a short distance down Swan Mountain Road, we went to the Sapphire Point Overlook. There are a number of trails from here that go to nearby towns, but it was too late in the day to attempt them. Instead, we walked to the overlook — where we witnessed a young man proposing to his sweetheart ... so charming and romantic. Then we continued down the trail a short distance. The peek-a-boo views of Dillon Reservoir were lovely ... but would be even more so in the morning when the sun shines on the mountains. Methinks we'll need to return to do some of the hikes in the area.

    We would have walked further, but suddenly there were carloads of people showing up ... probably to catch the sunset. Most were not wearing masks and the trail was narrow. So we opted to call it a day.

    When we returned to the Cruiser it was after 7:30p. Time to run the generator for a bit to warm up our dinner in the microwave. Afterward, we settled down to a quiet evening. I bundled up to sit outside, but unfortunately, the smoke from the campfires drove me indoors. I have a feeling it will be another early-to-bed night for us.
    Read more