Satellite
Show on map
  • Spokane Creek C&C ... Our SD Base

    August 28, 2020 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 61 °F

    After our delightful break in Edgemont for lunch, we continued our drive towards Custer, SD. Driving through town, we topped off the Cruiser’s gas tank and continued on US-16A to enter Custer State Park. Yes ... in the motorhome ... with the toad hooked up. But that was nothing. After all, there are campgrounds in the park and RVs on that road are not that unusual. We kept going, however. And once through the park, we hung a left onto the infamous Iron Mountain Road!

    No worries, we weren’t crazy ... we were just following the directions provided by the manager at Spokane Creek Cabins & Campground. Her email, which told us that GPS was unreliable in the area, assured us that we’d be arriving at the property well before the really tricky section of the road that has pigtails and several tunnels ... whew!

    I can’t say that we enjoyed the drive through Custer State Park in the motorhome ... narrow, curvy roads. But we were delighted to be welcomed to the area by a great big hulking bison standing roadside. Too bad I didn’t think to take a photo ... but I’ve got a 7-day pass to visit the park while we are here, so we’ll be back in the CR-V to do so soon enough!

    So, here we are. Settled into site 49 ... 30A FHU. It is one of the terraced sites along the rim of the property, backing onto towering trees. The sites are well-spaced out and the terracing provides good social-distancing. Alas, the trees block the southern sky, so no SatTV ... but we get a couple of channels off the air. No cell signal either ... nothing for the WeBoost antenna to work with. But, there is speedy wi-fi provided by the campground, so that’s good.

    Our initial impression is that this is a nice enough place for our 9-day stay in the area. But I am concerned about the number of kids running around, making quite a bit of noise even though it is pitch dark outside. Quiet hours don’t start until 10:30p ... so I will have to be patient for another hour or so. Fingers crossed that once the weekend is over, things will quiet down for us “older adults.”

    No set plans for tomorrow. I think we’ll take it easy before we delve into all that the area has to offer. So far the skies remain smoke-free ... except for the short patch of haze we drove through as we climbed up into the Black Hills. Fingers crossed, it remains that way.
    Read more