Satellite
Show on map
  • 3-Part Day Starts with the Wildlife Loop

    September 1, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    After two long days of sightseeing, we planned today as an easy day. A later departure from the campground ... an earlier return. Nonetheless, we managed to squeeze in three different places into our day before returning to the Cruiser.

    This footprint, part I of today’s story, covers another drive on the Wildlife Loop in Custer SP. We’ve determined that it is a good alternative to staying on US-16A to reach the SD-87 junction. It doesn’t add that much more distance or time, and seems like a less-curvy road with wide open vistas.

    As anticipated, the heat had driven the animals into the shade, so sightings were few. We saw the burros — not unexpected since they are used to being fed and always show up — and a couple of pronghorn antelopes.

    Then we got on the section of SD-87 that runs south through Custer SP and started seeing big piles of fresh dung all over the road. A sure sign that the bison were somewhere in the vicinity. Sure enough ... we rounded the curve in the road and there they were ... spread out on both sides of the road, but mostly on my side. Excellent! That was the direction in which the light was good!

    This is now the third time we’ve driven the wildlife loop. In every instance, we’ve found the bison herds elsewhere 😉

    P.S. On our way back through Custer SP later in the day, the only critters we saw were some bighorn sheep ... so well hidden in the shade of some trees that we almost drove by them. The dappled light provided them with perfect camouflage. Can’t say as I blamed them for seeking the shade ... it was so darned hot at that hour!
    Read more