Satellite
Show on map
  • Winter Storm Dud?

    September 9, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 34 °F

    Yes, a dud. At least where we are here at St Vrain State Park, the winter storm was pretty much a non-event.

    Sure, we had 50+ mph winds on Monday ... for a while. Sure, the temperature dropped like a rock yesterday ... a 45 degree change from the 90F high on Monday. Sure we had rain that turned to freezing rain and sleet. Sure we had some snow ... flakes that melted before they even hit the ground. But that was it. No accumulation of snow — which to me, at least — would have made the winter storm real.

    That’s not to say that some places around the state did not get hit ... and get hit big. The highest accumulation total I saw on the news was some 14” in a town in the mountains west of Pueblo. Colorado Springs is reported as having received 2-4” of accumulation. Overall, I think areas south and west of here bore the brunt of the storm.

    With barely a hint of wind today, we didn’t have to bundle up nearly as much for our morning walk, which took in a couple of the nearby ponds. It felt good to get some fresh air after being cooped up much of yesterday. Not a hint of smoke from the wildfires, either. Will have to check Inciweb to see if the snow helped to bank the fires.

    The temperature warmed up steadily, matching yesterday’s high of 45F by late afternoon. But the best news? The sun started to peek out around 5:00p. Now, at almost 7:00p, the golden orb is adding a delightful warm hue that gives the impression of warmth. Just an impression mind you 😁

    We’ll be heading home sometime tomorrow ... after the rush hour through Denver is over 🤞🏻
    Read more