Satellite
Show on map
  • Relaxing with a Six-Mile Hike @ RSP

    October 9, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    Not that we were lazy all day, but our “stay home and enjoy the campground” break from sightseeing did start with a cup of tea and reading time on the patio. With the temp slowly rising from the mid-40s to 50F, the brilliant sunshine was welcome for the warmth it projected.

    Around 10:30a, we left the Cruiser and headed to the trailhead for the Enchanted Mesa hike, described in the brochure as being the most physically challenging in the park. If that’s the case, the remaining hikes must be cakewalks.

    With the grade ranging from 2% to 32%, we started off on a zig-zag trail that was technically no wider than a goat path. Eventually, the trail rose to a flat, wider path that follows the Ridgway Reservoir, providing aerial views most of the way. The meadow on the other side of the trail is said to be home to mule deer and elk. If they were present, they did not show themselves today ... though we did find the skeletal remains of an animal. Mt Sneffels and the Cimarron Range were distant additions to the scenery ... their beauty veiled by haze unfortunately.

    The trail is just 2½ miles in length, but we added to that distance by continuing on to the marina overlook on the Mear’s Bay Trail. Between the hike and the walk to and from the campground to the trailhead, we ended up clocking six miles today. Not bad for what was to have been a day of rest!

    We had an al fresco lunch when we returned to the Cruiser before settling down to a relaxing afternoon on the patio. Once again, I was happy to have the shade shelter ... it would have been a challenge to sit outside otherwise.

    Around 5:00p, we headed over to the Ridgway Library to use the wi-fi and then we took a drive around Ridgway town, which has an Old West vibe. I understand that parts of “Old Grit,” a John Wayne movie, was filmed here. Purely by chance, we came across one of those buildings ... the Fort Smith Saloon. We didn’t venture inside, but we did stop so I could photograph the mural painted on the exterior wall.

    All in all, a relaxing day with a hike thrown in for good measure. Now that we’re rested up, we’re raring to go on another “sightseeing by car” trip tomorrow.
    Read more