Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    End the Day in Twin Falls, Idaho

    May 5, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 59 °F

    Actually, we’re in Filer ... on the outskirts of Twin Falls. We’re settled into a dry camping spot at the Twin Falls Fairgrounds.

    This was a shorter driving day ... just under 200 miles. We could have gone further, but Larry — one of Mui’s buddies from his days in the US Air Force — lives here and we wanted to meet up for a short reunion.

    The drive from Ogden to Utah was an easy one. Quite unremarkable. Wide open spaces ... lots of farmlands and ranches with cattle and sheep. Distant mountains ... some green-clad hills. The camera on the iPhone didn’t see much action.

    We arrived at the fairgrounds around 1:30p. This was to have been the only FHU campground on the trip to Tacoma, but since the route jiggles the first two days landed us in campgrounds where we had utilities, we opted to dry camp here ... $10.60. And for that we have the entire dry camping field to ourselves ... and only 3-4 rigs in the FHU section across the dirt road from where we are parked up.

    Taking it easy this afternoon, we set off around 4:00p to run some errands. And then, we stopped at the visitor center. Not because we needed any info, but because it made a good parking spot for a short stroll between two overlooks on the rim of the Snake River Canyon.

    Then it was time to meet Larry for dinner. We went to the only place Mui and I know in Twin Falls — Elevation 486 ... a restaurant perched on the rim of the canyon and so named due to its location 486 feet above the canyon floor. We managed to snag a table on the outdoor deck ... a delightful 72F ... but slightly cool in the shade.

    It was great to see Larry again ... lots of reminiscing and catching up ... good food ... good camaraderie.

    Tomorrow we continue our trek. If things go according to plan, we’ll be overnighting somewhere in Oregon.

    ——————————————

    For those curious — dinner tonight consisted of a bruschetta appetizer with feta cheese and avocado; I ordered the butternut squash ravioli in a pistachio-basil sauce; Mui and Larry both had the Idaho ruby red trout. Dessert was a splurge ... cheesecake with caramel sauce and a dark chocolate ganache ... we split them three ways 🤪.
    Read more