Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Exploring McCarthy

    June 25, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    After settling into our site at the Base Camp, we grabbed a quick lunch at Wild Dogs, a food truck near the office ... expensive (as most food options seem to be in the area), but very good. Then, we crossed the footbridge.

    McCarthy is one of the places considered private property within Wrangell-St Elias National Park and Preserve. I’m not sure how many people live here now, but the 2020 Milepost gives a combined population of 34 people for McC/Kennecott. Founded back in 1906 when the Kennecott Copper Mine was established, McCarthy was considered “sin city” as opposed to Kennecott, located 4.5 miles away, being the “work city.”

    Since we wanted to stretch our legs, we decided to walk the ½-mile into town. It was a bit hot with little shade along the way. And dusty, too. But not bad since there was a second footbridge that was a shortcut over following the road the entire way. Once in McCarthy, we wandered down the road, checking out things. Not much to see really.

    Since visitors can’t drive into McCarthy, there are a couple of shuttle options. One of them charges $5pp each way and goes from the footbridge to McCarthy and Kennecott.

    The other company operates a free shuttle from the footbridge into McCarthy and a paid shuttle to Kennecott from McC ... the cost is $5/person each way. There’s also an unlimited pass for $15/person. Knowing that we’d be going into Kennecott three or more times during our stay, we opted for the latter and purchased our passes at the McCarthy Center ... sort of like a mercantile for the community.

    And then we sat down to wait for the next shuttle into Kennecott.
    Read more