Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    Day 64 Ends with Rain in Valdez

    July 5, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 55 °F

    Today was another day of R&R. Not that we stayed home all day. No, we went out for a bit of exercise mid-morning that took us from the campground to the small boat harbor, and then around to the south basin.

    Along the way we had a couple of close encounters with a juvenile bald eagle. He (or maybe it was a she) was engrossed in a piece of scrap halibut from a nearby fish cleaning station, which allowed me to get close enough for a couple of photos and videos. That was a good thing since the camera with the long lens was back in the Cruiser.

    On the way back, we decided to have lunch at The Fat Mermaid. The place was still full-up from the late breakfast crowd. So, despite the slight chill in the air, we sat on the patio to share a halibut basket and a walnut/mango salad. The food was very tasty. But the best part? Apart from the delicious lemon mascarpone cake we shared for dessert? The cocoa-candied walnuts in the salad.

    This would have been night for a campfire, but the wind has picked up a bit and it is raining ... more than just a drizzle this time. Oh well.
    Read more