Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Day 69 Ends with a Stroll Around Seward

    July 10, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 52 °F

    Once we were settled into our site, we donned our rain gear and went off to renew our memories of the time we spent in Seward in 2010. On that occasion, we’d seen the town under sunny conditions. This time, we would be seeing it under overcast and drizzly conditions.

    One thing that was the same as back then … the crowds. I can’t even imagine how much busier it would be if the cruise ships were coming up here this years. Not to mention all the RVers that have postponed their plans due to the border closure. Then again, those RVers have been replaced with Alaskans and the RV rentals I think. The town is filled to the gills. We’ll have to adjust to the crowds again now that we’re on the Kenai Peninsula.

    Anyway, the advantage of being at one of the waterfront campgrounds is that everything is walking distance. Shortly, we were at the small boat harbor, looking for the eatery where we had great halibut fish & chips in 2010. Alas, the place has since changed hands. The halibut portion of the dish was still good, but the fries … well, lets just say that they needed more time in the fryer.

    For dessert, we went to the Harbor Street Creamery for ice cream, which we enjoyed as we walked back to the campground. Instead of stopping when we reached our site, however, we kept going until we got to what I term the “Main Street” of Seward. A lot of familiar sights — including some of the murals that I photographed in 2010 — and some new ones.

    Eventually, we made our way back to the campground and settled in for a quiet evening at home.

    It’s been raining on and off since we got here. And there is nothing but rain in the forecast for the next few days. I’m hoping it won’t be constant, but hey … we’ll deal with whatever Mother Nature has in store for us.
    Read more