Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Day 75 Ends @ Fred Meyer in Soldotna

    July 16, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 57 °F

    Had we not jiggled our plans last week, we would have been heading from Whittier to Seward. But we did. So we headed to Homer instead … two days before our reservation at a campground on the Spit.

    The Kenai Peninsula is hot stuff this time of the year … with salmon and halibut runs bringing anglers from near and far. So, when we decided to head to Homer, we called to see if the campground had space. No can do for tonight … yes, for tomorrow.

    With no real plan in place, we drove 108 miles from Whittier to Soldotna … discussing options as we made our way there. Both the Seward and Sterling highways were busy with RVs and boats trailered behind vehicles of all kinds. The campgrounds along the way did not appeal. Nor were there any turnouts to take advantage of. So we decided to do what a lot of RVers do when they arrive in Soldotna … we boondocked at Fred Meyer.

    The parking lot was a-buzz with activity at first, but it’s been quieting down quickly. To reciprocate the courtesy overnight parking, we did a bit of needed shopping earlier and are ready to settle down for the night.
    Read more