Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 98

    Day 98 Ends in Aurora, CO

    August 8, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    A 263-mile drive … increasingly better air quality. Excellent. However, hot, hot, hot … 103F in the sun … about 10 degrees cooler in the shade. Luckily, the A/C managed to keep the interior comfortable.

    Traffic was quite heavy today … luckily no accidents and traffic jams to slow us down too much. But we did have to negotiate some road construction that stretched for miles in Wyoming after we left Rawlins.

    It was around 1:30p when we arrived at Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora, east of Denver. We stayed at the campground here for the first time in 2018 … during our where-shall-we settle tour. As then, our goal this time is to have a quick get together with our friends — Sonia and Boris — before we head home. We’ll be going overseas for four months in early September, so we figured this was our best chance of seeing them before we leave.

    This time we’re in the Buffalo Loop … site #141 … 50A FHU. I think this site is our favorite now … very spacious, totally private with no sites on the patio side … thick trees and bushes behind and to the other side. Just as I remembered from last time, the campground is meticulously maintained. The gravel in the patio area is combed … just like you might find in a Zen garden. I had to, unfortunately, wait for the sun to go down to enjoy it all because it was so hot today.

    After a light lunch, Mui headed into Denver to pick up some foodstuff from his favorite Middle Eastern Market and from Costco. As you can imagine, we’ve been gone so long that there is little to nothing in the larder at home. Now that he’s back, it’s time for a light dinner … followed by a quiet evening.

    Tomorrow will be a quiet day of rest … and then we’ll be meeting up with our friends for dinner.
    Read more