Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Tapas with the Gelmans

    August 9, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 90 °F

    Our day started very quietly. It was too chilly to eat breakfast on the patio. But after our meal, I donned a jacket, grabbed my laptop and iPad … and my small thermos of tea, and made myself comfortable on the patio. The north/south orientation of the pad meant that I had shade through the morning. Peaceful … reading … writing … and just enjoying being outdoors.

    Around 3:30p, we headed up to Denver to meet up with Sonia and Boris for dinner. But first, we socialized at their place for a bit … catching up on all that’s happened in our lives since we last saw them before we left for Alaska.

    Our tapas dinner tonight was at the Barcelona Wine Bar in Denver’s RiNo (River North) neighborhood. What a great place … and every bite of food was delicious … as was the pitcher of red sangria. We followed the server’s suggestion to pick two tapas each to share … ended up with one extra one … which was indeed one too many. But that didn’t stop us from ordering a sweet treat to share. If there is one complaint we have, it’s that the warehouse-like setting makes for a very loud dining experience. But somehow we managed to talk over the noise, so all was good.

    As is always the case, we enjoyed great camaraderie. We will likely not see the Gelmans until we return from our overseas trip in January 2022. So, I’m especially glad that we had this chance to get together.

    ——————————————-

    For those interested in such things, here’s a list of the tapas we ordered (I forgot to take a photo of the salad, so it’s not featured in the collage.)

    🇪🇸 Asparagus a la Plancha … with a truffle vinaigrette and Manchego cheese 🇪🇸 Roasted Zucchini … with red chimichurri 🇪🇸 Pan con Tomate … with garlic and sea salt 🇪🇸 Gambas al Ajillo … with Arbol chili, olive oil, and garlic 🇪🇸 Bacon Wrapped Dates … with Valdeón mousse 🇪🇸 Jamón & Manchego Croquetas … with garlic aioli 🇪🇸 Truffled Bikini … with Jamón Serrano, San Simón 🇪🇸 Roasted Corn & Arugula … with red onion, salsa verde, boquerones (herring) 🇪🇸 Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake … with coffee Anglaise and almond crumble.
    Read more