Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    The Crossing Begins

    October 26, 2022, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Shortly before 4:00p, we set up our wine and snacks on the veranda … in preparation for the 4:30p sailaway. Turns out that by 4:15p we were out in open seas. Our early departure was probably aided by the downpour that had everyone scurrying back to the warmth and comfort of Silhouette.

    With the Celebrity app showing a comedian/magician performing tonight, we decided we didn’t have to hurry through dinner to make the 7:00p show. Hah! Turns out that my app had not updated to show that the headliner was a vocalist from the USA … Leslie McDonel … a performer of “sultry standards.” So, we did end up rushing a bit … but it was worth it. Leslie, who has performed in several Broadway shows, and at the Grammy and Tony Awards, has a vocal prowess that is to be admired.

    Returning to the cabin after the show, I made myself comfortable on the veranda … where I am now. It’s a tiny bit cooler tonight … 70F. A wool lap blanket is all I need to keep me cozy. There’s a bit more motion to the ocean … and the wind, which Capt G said would be blowing at 30 knots, is stronger too. But Silhouette is handling both well enough.

    The ship has turned its bow westward. That will now be the general direction in which we will be traveling … with a slight slant to the south as we make our way to Florida. No more time on land for us until we arrive in Miami and disembark the ship on 3 November.

    Distance to Miami @ Time of Sailaway from Funchal: 3,362 NM

    Fingers crossed for a smooth crossing!
    Read more