Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Atlantic Crossing … Day 7

    November 2, 2022, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Yes, I skipped another day. Really, nothing to write about … except perhaps to mention that we got instructions for tomorrow’s disembarkation in Miami. We were assigned to Group 23 … at 8:15a. Nope … no can do. We have a mid-afternoon flight to Colorado and would prefer to dally on the ship as long as possible. So, Mui got us changed to the last group … #46 @ 9:15a. Still too early, but it is what it is.

    I should also mention that the production show last night — Euphoria — was similar to a Cirque du Soleil performance. Impressive acrobatics and aerial artistry. But … we could have done without the dancers strutting about the stage in air-filled animal costumes.

    On with today’s story.

    It was funny to hear Capt G advise us during his 9:45a report that we had a mere 270 NM left to cover. So, you can imagine that we were moving pretty much at the speed of molasses in winter throughout the day.

    Once our cabin was serviced mid-morning, we began packing our bags. Easy enough since practically everything that came out would be going back in … we just organized ourselves so that all the laundry went in one bag. The checked bags are now sitting outside the stateroom door … well ahead of the 10:00p deadline.

    Being this close to Miami meant decent satellite signal, so we attempted to use up our complimentary internet minutes. Except that even after having used two hours earlier in the cruise, and another hour of surfing the web and catching up on my reading today, I still had nearly two hours left. Hmmm! Nope, the math wasn’t adding up since we had four hours to begin with. Mui and I think that fellow passengers must have been complaining about the lack of a decent signal these past three days, so we might have been given extra minutes.

    By happy hour time, we started seeing cruise ships on the horizon … some leaving Florida … others, like us, heading there to disembark passengers. We also saw the low-lying Bahamian islands on the horizon. It was fun to have a bit of entertainment as we sipped our wine. At one point, we went through a squall which presented us with one last rainbow. We’ve certainly seen more colorful arches on this cruise than we have on other TransAtlantics.

    For dinner, we opted to just grab a bite at the Oceanview Café and go to tonight’s variety show at 7:00p. The opening act was a surprise performance by a passenger … the winner of Celebrity Idol on this cruise. She did a credible job. Then came the featured acts … the Fly Boys; Leslie McDonel; and Jayne Curry. All three gave us great performances.

    Now, I am going to put the laptop away and savor my last little bit of veranda time before I call it a night and turn in for a good night’s rest.

    Distance Remaining to Miami: 108 NM
    Read more