Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Zihuatanejo, Mexico

    January 21, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    New-to-us-port #6.

    Zihuatanejo — Zihua to the locals — is a small town that many ships stop at to visit Ixtapa. We stayed in Zihua … sort of.

    Together with Sonia and Boris, we took the first tender from the ship. When we got off at the pier in town (where we were greeted by folk dancers), we bought tickets for a water taxi, R/T MXN $80/person, and headed off to Las Gatas Beach, clear across the harbor. We had read that this was the beach to come to for snorkeling, a favorite pastime for Mui. Alas, he said there really isn’t much to see under the surface. He is back in the water now, checking out the far side of the beach to see if he has better luck there.

    On the beach, we settled ourselves at La Arrecife, one of several restaurants that line the beach. Good food … tasty shrimp tacos for me and grilled octopus for Mui … washed down with a Dos XX lager … or two. The guacamole that we shared with the Gelmans was quite good, too.

    It is Saturday and the beach is crowded … very. All locals … the very occasional tourist near where we are. The water is warm … a light breeze and shade make the hot temperature bearable.

    If we find ourselves back here, we will walk all the way to the end of the beach with our own chairs and settle ourselves under the palm trees instead. Or maybe we will try another beach.
    Read more