Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 202

    Itinerary Revision #18

    July 1, 2023 ⋅ 🌬 48 °F

    Indeed, in his noon announcement, Captain Maro confirmed my 12-15 foot estimate for the swells we were battling this morning as being in the 13-15 foot range. (If this sentence doesn’t make sense to you, see the previous footprint.)

    That confirmation, however, wasn’t the takeaway message from the Captain’s announcement. In fact, the stats followed the words I’d been expecting (but hoping not to hear). Namely that Kodiak, Alaska has been canceled. I had been monitoring the map and couldn’t see how we would make it there tomorrow as scheduled. Now, we all know that we won’t.

    Captain Maro explained that he took the steps to cancel the port due to a gale warning in the area … with winds of up to 50 knots. Instead, we’ll have another day at sea tomorrow. We hope to arrive in Seward, Alaska on Monday as scheduled. In fact, if the “Currents” delivered to the cabin this evening is to be believed, we’ll be arriving at 7:00a instead of 8:00a. I’ll believe that when it happens 😊.

    In the meantime, we continue to jiggle along. The swells may have diminished just the teeniest-tiniest bit, but somehow Insignia’s movements seem more pronounced.

    Since alcohol and the motion of the ocean don’t necessarily play well together, we opted not to go to tonight’s O Club Party … the second one for this segment. But I’ll leave you with one stat that I know OCA Cella will mention … only 50 of the 560 people who are currently onboard are first-time O cruisers, everybody else is a repeater.

    Hoping for calmer seas overnight and into tomorrow so that we can make some serious headway towards Seward.

    P.S. Just for fun, I am inserting two collages of photos of some of the things we did in Kodiak when we were there for three days in 2010.
    Read more