Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    On Our Way to YYZ

    September 3, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    As I begin to write this footprint, it’s 12:49p EDT in Toronto … two hours ahead of where we are currently … flying over Nebraska aboard our United Airlines flight UA 1874.

    (In case you are wondering, Nebraska has two time zones. While most people in the state use Central Time, we are still over the area that is officially on MDT.)

    After an uneventful drive up I-25N, we turned our “less-than-compact” Toyota Tundra rental into Avis around 7:30a. The shuttle bus then whisked us to DEN without delay. By 7:41a, our bags were tagged and checked. Less than 10 minutes later, we were on the secure side of the Jeppesen Terminal … thank you TSA Pre✔️.

    The 1.5 hours we had on hand at the airport passed quickly … hot beverages at Caribou Coffee, a couple of scones, people-watching. Before we knew it, we were being alerted by the UA app that boarding for our flight was about to begin. A short walk to Gate B44. Quick boarding thanks to the priority status afforded by our credit card.

    For this short flight, we opted to fly economy … with an upgrade bundle that scored us seats in the exit row. UA 1874 pushed back on time at 9:53a (MDT) … 20 minutes later we were in the air, winging our way East. The good news? The cockpit advised that the flight time will be about 30 minutes shorter than originally scheduled. (Yeah … I know … there’s always a buffer built into the published schedules.)

    Since the distance to YYZ is over the 500-mile threshold for snacks, we received our little packets of goodies and our cold beverages shortly after UA 1874 leveled off. Since I’m all caught up with our day so far, I’m going to sit back and enjoy the rest of the flight.

    See you all after we are settled in our room at the YYZ hotel …

    P.S. By the way … for those who have been following our “it-ended-six-weeks-ago-world-cruise,” I will continue writing and posting catch-up footprints. So, while it may seem at times like we are all over the world, we will in reality be in Türkiye for the next seven weeks … once we get there, of course.
    Read more