Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Toronto: Maple Leaf Lounge … Delay

    September 4, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    Into our second travel day it seems some delay must fall!

    After a great day of touring with Kadi and Brad, they dropped us off at Union Station in downtown Toronto. From there, we caught the downtown to YYZ UP Express train — the UP (as in the opposite of down), if you want everyone to think you are a local. Quick and easy … and no Labor Day long-weekend traffic to deal with.

    After killing an hour at the Sheraton Gateway Club Lounge, we collected our held luggage and set off for the “zoo” that is Terminal 1 at YYZ. Having taken this THY flight from here to IST before, we knew where to go … what to do. In no time, we were checked in for what was to have been a 9:45p departure … now scheduled to depart around 11:00p instead. Sigh! The good news? Our planned long layover in IST means that we’re good to make our connection to İzmir (ADB) … for the time being at least …🤞🏻.

    The queue at the security checkpoint was long. Business class tickets in hand, we were able to bypass that line. Then, spotting a QR code promoting “security checkpoint reservations,” I decided to try it to see how it works. All of one minute to provide the requested info. We were given an immediate jump-the-line time to use the express lane. It didn’t make too much of a difference today. But this is something to definitely keep in mind if we come through YYZ with economy tickets in the future.

    We are now ensconced in Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounge. It’s crowded as usual. But the comfy chairs and tasty tidbits — not to mention a glass or two of wine — will make the extra wait time before we can embark TK 18 more bearable.
    Read more