Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lunch @ Katerina’s

    October 23, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌧 66 °F

    On a back street, we found Katerina’s … a gem of a restaurant inside one of the Little Venice houses. The establishment is named for Katerina Xidaki, a local woman who at age 18 became the first professional female captain of a motor vessel.

    There were no tables available on the tiny balcony, which was in the sun anyway. So we gave up the scenery to sit at the only table available in the A/C-cooled dining room.

    The menu offered a selection of Mediterranean dishes, with seafood featuring prominently. We opted for a bunch of mezes (appetizers). The portions turned out to be quite large … saganaki; feta cheese wrapped in phyllo, deep fried, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds; calamari; and tempura-style zucchini slices with tzatziki sauce. Mui ordered ouzo; I opted for an Alpha, the local beer on the menu. Everything was delicious and plentiful, making us happy that Mui had not opted to also order the mussels. Dessert — a mix of baklava and kadayıf — was compliments of the establishment … and a nice wrap to a very nice meal.

    We continued our meandering stroll through the streets, making our way back to the harbor. We came out not far from the water taxi drop-off point. Having purchased R/T tickets this morning, we made our way onto the next taxi to depart. It was right around 3:00p … just as planned.
    Read more