Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    OTR: Caravaning … Day 13 👉🏻 Bushfire

    February 22 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    As we were leaving Esperance, we saw an electric sign board indicating that the Eyre Highway was closed due to a bushfire. Since, we weren’t planning on driving on the Eyre today, we made note of the sign and kept going.

    It wasn’t until we arrived in Norseman, the mid-way point for today’s drive, to top off our diesel that we understood the serious nature of the closure.

    The clerk at the cash register explained that the highway was closed from Caiguna all the way west to Norseman … some 225+ miles … the section we crossed on our last day on the Nullarbor … the area covered with the trees of the Great Western Woodland. The closure is expected to last at least three days. That news explained why there were so many road trains parked up in Norseman … the Eyre is the main east-went road in and out of Western Australia … really, the only feasible one for these road trains.

    We have since learned that, the bush fire was initially reported on 7 February. In fact, we sensed the distinct burnt wood smell as we were passing the area on the 18th. We were told then that the fire had been contained. Unfortunately, the extreme heat and winds of the past couple of days caused it to flare up. The fire has now jumped the Eyre Highway and both sides have gone up in flames. The Balladonia Roadhouse, where we visited the museum, is under threat. The order has been given to “act immediately to survive.

    This is not the only bushfire in Australia at the moment … the news tonight reported major fires in the states of Victoria and Tasmania as well.

    Being fire-aware in Australia — especially at this time of the year — is the key to safety.
    Read more