Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74

    Kalgoorlie: The Rest of the Story

    February 23 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 84 °F

    After our interesting insider tour of the Super Pit, we were free to do as we wished in town. My haircut appointment was at 3:20, so we had plenty of time to while away.

    First up … lunch at the historic York Hotel. It was just opening up when we arrived at 11:30a. We placed our order for food at the bar and headed upstairs to the terrace to have lunch with a view.

    Afterwards, we hopped in the motorhome and drove the 2 miles or so to the Super Pit Public Lookout. A different perspective across the big hole from where we had gotten out of the tour bus. Lots of information and a shovel bucket for a photo op. There is a nice place from which to look out over the pit that doesn’t have a mesh safety fence.

    Returning to town, we stopped at Coles to pick up some more water. And then meandered a bit, finding a few more of the murals from the now-defunct HeArtWalk program. We also checked out the Kalgoorlie train station where we will stop on the Indian-Pacific for our off-train experience on 3 April.

    We still had some time on our hands, but there was nowhere else for us to go. So, we found the barbershop I spotted yesterday, and while Mui got a haircut, I sat in the shade outside on the sidewalk. Then we reversed positions. I went to the salon for my haircut and he sat outside on the sidewalk … comfy thanks to a nice breeze.

    It’s interesting how amidst the rundown or closed shops there are new, modern ones. The salon — Ahead of Time — fit the latter description. The hairstylist, a young woman who has lived in Kalgoorlie all her life and has no desire to move anywhere else, did a great job cutting and styling my hair.

    A pretty busy day overall.
    Read more