Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 105

    Cairns: Evening Stroll

    March 25 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 81 °F

    Cairns is located in tropical Queensland. The heat and humidity this time of the year is, therefore, especially oppressive. Unless you are on the water, that is. After all Cairns is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.

    We’re here to do a liveaboard, so Mui opted not to take a daytrip out to the reef this time as he has done in the past. Instead, we took a page out of the book that the locals use to endure the daytime heat and humidity … we went out in the evening.

    First up was a stop at the new St Monica’s Cathedral on Abbott Street. Dedicated as a memorial to the WWII Battle of the Coral Sea, the official name of the church is St Monica’s War Memorial Cathedral.

    In addition to the Peace Windows, the cathedral is known for its Creation Windows. All of the windows are designed by Gerry Cummins and Jill Stehn. Installed in 1995, the Peace Windows celebrate 50 years of peace in the Pacific Region since the end of WWII. The 24 Creation Windows depict the story of creation taken from the Book of Genesis. They are so large that I had to photograph them in segments. Definitely worth a visit to the cathedral to see them.

    From St Monica’s, we continued our stroll into the CBD. We had dinner reservations at Pist4cchi, an Italian restaurant opened by two Italian guys … one from Campania and the other from Puglia. The food was excellent (they even made me cacio e pepe (off-menu) … and Mui enjoyed chatting with Francesco in Italian. The website said that we would be greeted “… with genuine warmth and quintessential Italian charm.” Definitely the case last night. We had a “bellissima esperienza!.”

    After dinner, we made our way to the Esplanade. We passed the saltwater swimming lagoon on the foreshore … built to give people a place to swim since the beaches around here have dangerous critters swimming around. Can you say crocodiles and stingers? Then we continued along the foreshore back to the hotel.

    A great way to wrap up what was an otherwise relaxing day. But I must say that by the time we got back, the A/C in our room was most welcome.
    Read more