Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    El Questro to Kununurra and Turkey Creek

    May 15, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Had a really nice afternoon yesterday after the walk. We just sat in shade and read our books and relaxed. We were also contemplating the morning plan consisting of illegal charging of the camper in the main camp…
    I finally managed to Kat’s dislike to change the Canasta score. It will not last long as Kat is pretty determined to change that soon again!!
    We got up early to execute our plan, packed up the camper which was a bit harder than usual as the canvas was pretty damp. We parked it at the main camp in one of the empty powered sites and hooked our camper trailer to power to see what happens. We were charging the camper trailer for more than an hour and to our disappointment the battery did not charge at all. So we decided to execute plan B - call all repair services or auto electricians in Kununurra. Unfortunately, they were all booked out weeks ahead and some just simply advised that they only service locals and not tourists.
    The El Questro staff advised to contact the Auto Pro service which we did and I spoke with a guy who sounded like he could help us out although I must admit he sounded a bit different. Anyway, beggars cannot be choosers so we headed back to Kununurra.
    Well, that was a bit of waste of time although we went back to the ice cream shop because ice cream solves everything 😂.
    The guy in the shop confirmed that there is power output from the solar panels, power output from our car but supposedly the batteries are so depleted that the little voltage coming from either the solar or car will not make a sufficient charge. He also said that the voltage thingie mounted in the camper trailer is maybe faulty but he was not sure… in the end we don’t think he was sure of anything so we decided to pack up the camper trailer and continue with the trip. We took the battery in the car and since I have also packed the battery charger for this trip, we decided to charge the battery over night at the caravan site in Turkey Creek. We also got a back up cool box and ice so we survive our 4 days in the Bungle Bungles without any power.
    We stocked up on more bread and water and headed to Turkey Creek also known as Warmun.
    We are lucky, there is only another caravan and that is all. We parked on the site where we have access to a power pole that we completely hogged. We plugged in our fridge/freezer that we have put on the lowest temperature possible so it lasts a bit longer when we leave tomorrow. We also plugged in the buttery that is getting bulk charge and hopefully will be ok for tomorrow’s re-installation to the camper trailer and we also hogged a third power pole that we use to charge our personal items e.g. watch and phones 😂😇
    We had a nice diner and will be heading to bed soon as we both feel a little tired today.
    We got some great news today - the road to Bungle Bungle has just been graded so fingers crossed the drive will not be as painful as we thought.
    Alfi also got a house sitters changeover today and we are sure he will miss Kathleen heaps.
    Read more