Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 17

    Warmun (Turkey Creek) to Bungle Bungles

    16 de mayo de 2023, Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    It was a night full of anticipation - is the battery going to be charged or not?
    I don’t even know how many dreams I had about exploding batteries and at some point I even woke Kat up as I smelled something burning. Thankfully she reminded me of the bush burning that was happening around Warmun as we were arriving.
    Anyway, the battery was charged, we only had to wait for the last phase to complete and it was ready to be re-installed. Kat hooked it up as I am scared that I will get zapped despite being reassured that it is not gonna happen… We packed up and headed to the Warmun Art Centre were we treated ourselves to a small painting to remember this beautiful part of the world.
    The drive to the Bungle Bungles (BBs) was not long but once we left the main road and got onto the road leading to BBs the fun started. We were told yesterday that the road has just been graded, well we cannot even imagine how it has to be like in the middle of the season then. We did the 56km in just under two hours! We stopped counting how many river/water crossings we did, the road was challenging and definitely not boring. The country side just simply spectacular. We crossed a big bull that looked like he would like to have a counter match with our car and also a very skinny doggo that looked a bit sad. I was driving and Kat was holding onto the handle for her life….hahaha… even though we took it pretty slowly we were quite shaken when we arrived to the tourist centre. It opened just a few weeks ago and looks great. Modern, functional and blends in.
    We checked in and went to find out spot, the site we chose is quite large and shaded, very nice. After setting ourselves up and having a bit of a beer break we headed to a nearby spot to to see the sunset. It was magic, the sunlight reflecting on the rocks created spectacular colours. It was so peaceful… until the bus with tourist arrived. The group of older tourists got out of the bus, and started buzzing around the place. Their crew pulled out the chairs and alcohol for the ‘sunset party’ to start. It was quite entertaining. We left them there and went back to our home. Happy to say, battery is still in green - it definitely did not charge while we were driving but maybe it will get some boost from the solar that we hooked up to the camper trailer just in case it decides to work - fingers crossed 🤞🏻
    We had a lovely dinner and managed to drink another bottle of sparkling. We are sitting outside, it is a balmy night with a slight breeze and a beautiful sky full of stars.
    We are surrounded by toads 🐸 some of them are rather big… let’s hope they will leave us alone….
    Just a few facts about BBs. - they are located in the Purnululu National Park that is part of UNESCO World Heritage List since 2003 for exceptional natural beauty and geological importance. The Bungle Bungle Range includes extraordinary array of banded sandstone domes and is divided into the northern and southern parts. The orange banded domes are the most exceptional examples of cone karst formations in the world. The grey banding is a coating of Cyanobacteria, which has grown on moist areas. The orange bands are due to the colour of oxidised iron compounds which have dried up too quickly for the bacteria to grow. The domes are made of sandstone deposited 360 million years ago. Erosion by creeks, rivers and weathering in the past 20 million years has carved the beehive domes shapes and formations. The BBs have more then 140 bird species, 85 reptiles, 32 native mammals, 12 frog species and even fresh water crabs.
    Leer más