Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Miyajima Island

    July 11, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    We had a day trip to Miyajima Island today. To get there we caught a train and ferry. It was another hot day so we ate a Japanese-style snow cone when we arrived then wandered around looking at all of the deer. I also tried Momiji Manju, a food Miyajima is known for. It was a small cake-like snack shaped like a maple leaf with various types of fillings, I tried cheese and custard.

    We then went to Itsukushima Shrine and saw the Tori Gate in the water. It was quite busy. Everything was very bright red!

    Next, we visited Daisho-In Temple and its many stairs. We walked through some shrines, saw the temple, waterfalls and walked down a path with hundreds of Rakan statues (each representing a different Buddhist Monk).

    Afterwards, we walked through some windy bush-covered paths to the Miyajima Ropeway. We caught 2 cable cars up to Shishiiwa Observatory nearing the top of Mt Misen. The first cable car was small and fit just our family, the second was bigger but very squished with lots of people! We had a nice view of neighbouring islands from the observatory. On on our way back to the ferry, we stopped for some ice-cream and wandered the Miyajima shopping streets.

    Back in Hiroshima we walked through Hondori Street (a shopping arcade) and ate out for dinner.
    Read more