Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Atomic Testing Museum

    July 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 41 °C

    A couple of hours after arriving back from the Grand Canyon, we decided we would visit the National Atomic Testing Museum. This was a 40 minute walk from the hotel, and in 40° heat with little shade, this was a mission. The museum was absolutely excellent (probably to be expected as a Smithsonian affiliate) and covered the development of nuclear weapons, the role of Vegas and the impact today. A little bit of tenuous, but American-led, history throughout, but the exhibits and interactivity raised some provoking questions.

    We headed back in the scorching heat looking for a beer. Walking through the Paris Casino to get there, we saw the first casino that we had come across which could really be described as oppulent. We went and found a happy hour before returning to the casino for a spot of gambling on the slots. We actually came out having broken even, although not surprising with a self-imposed $5 spend limit each, and playing the 1 cent machines! Nonetheless, Ben, Mum and I all won at least once; sadly Kev did not.

    We had dinner at Virgil's BBQ off the strip. I ordered a 'starter' for my main, of nachos with everything. I was given a plate of food that, quite frankly, beat me. It was a full, stacked plate of nachos with loads of cheese, bbq sauce, chillis and so much meat...I think I got about 2/3rds through before admitting defeat and getting the men to help me out! On our way back to the hotel, we stopped to watch a full show of the Fountains of the Bellagio, before sending mum and Kev out to Cirque do Soleil's Ka...Ben and I simply crashed in the hotel, exhausted!
    Read more