Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Flagstaff and Grand Canyon

    July 20, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    A brief foray into Flagstaff took us along some of Route 66...more of which we'll drive in a few days. The town itself was both huge and tiny - we drive through over 8 miles of sprawling 'Flagstaff' to get to the historic centre, which covered just three blocks. But a pleasant coffee and a self-guided historic walk of the town, in existence mainly due to the railroads, was nonetheless interesting.

    Setting out from here, the Grand Canyon was ninety minutes drive through the Kaibab Forest, something more like Canada or Scotland than the desert in which the day had begun. We were lucky enough to miss the huge storms on the horizon but as we got to the GC entrance, lightning followed immediately by a huge crack of thunder was so unexpected it made me jump! Just as I checked in, the heavens opened in an almighty downpour, and whilst it has eased by the time we'd driven to the room, the Canyon itself was full of thick white cloud, making for an anti-climatic first viewing. After unpacking however, it has cleared quite nicely, and from the Lookout we were afforded far more striking views. The room too, whilst not overlooking the view, is less than a minute's walk from the rim.

    This morning, not planning on getting up for sunrise, I did pop out once the sun broke through. As well as being treated to beautiful, hazy views across the canyon, the squirrels and chipmunks were out in force, playing on the edge of the rim.
    Read more