Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Totems

    July 17, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Up early...super early...sodding time difference.

    So we tried to lie in, before the alarm finally going off at 8am. A small cafe nearby offered a cracking breakfast of waffles, eggs, bacon and coffee - welcome to Canada! Sadly it was pouring with rain and we got soaked en route.

    The weather put pay to our plans to cycle around Stanley Park but as it began to dry up, we walked to it instead. A brisk walk along the 3km of the sea wall took us past the Nine o'clock gun, the Brockton Point Lighthouse, the girl in the wetsuit statue and gave beautiful views if the San Francisco-esque Lions Gate Bridge. We watched intrigued as crafty seagulls picked up closed molluscs and dropped them onto the footpath from height to smash them open. The industry somewhat spoilt the view of the north side, but no more than the extensive harbour and seaplanes do on the south side.

    Rounding the eastern tip of Stanley Park, we came to the totem poles. These totems, mostly replicas, represent some of the history if the First Nation peoples in the area and are stunning despite the tourist crowds thronging off buses and out of taxis. From here, we began the long walk to the ferry for Granville island, passing en route yet more filming for Supergirl.
    Read more