Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Levada Walk

    December 21, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We booked on an excursion to one of Madeira's many levadas in the afternoon - water channels that feed the terraces cut into the sides of the many valleys of the island. As we drove up to nearly 800m above sea level, we drove into spitting rain although it was very light when we eventually stopped. That did not last. We walked through lush, damp greenery, surrounded by the invasive but pleasant smelling eucalyptus trees amongst a vast array of other plants that our guide pointed out as we walked. As the rain set in, we were both very grateful for having brought our sturdy and waterproof walking boots! The group was rather divided between those who had come - as advised - prepared for a hike, and those who turned up in jeans and flip flops. When we stopped for coffee, about 90 minutes in, half the group opted to return to the bus whilst half carried on. The second half of the walk was more built up through the village of Camacha and similar, but still following the levada. Despite the rain, the views were fantastic and it was nice to do something we'd not seen in Madeira.

    Reading update: 61% Children of Fallen Gods. Ben at 57% Crucible of Chaos.
    Read more