Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Volcanoes in La Palma

    December 22, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    It was dark when we arrived in La Palma, and it was fabulous to watch the light break across the Risco de la Concepción from our balcony over breakfast. We were apparently slightly late docking as an Aida ship - not due in until 10am - arrived early and nabbed our pilot! We picked up a bus to our excursion - a three-hour hike over the volcanos of the south part of the island, about 40 minutes from port along stunning coastal roads. The start saw us hiking a "hill down" footpath in soft ash to a wider track, under the watchful eye of our Dutch guide. She was very knowledgeable about the botany, geology and history of the area, and gave great insight into the eruptions here of 1971 and 2021 (in which she sadly lost her own house). We hiked around the huge San Antonio volcano (1677 eruption) to Teneguía volcano (1971) over landscape so desolate it looked Martian in colour and formation. Apparently grape vines are grown here, famed for their uniqueness (growing low to avoid the sweeping winds), and we hopped along a concrete water channel as all water is carried on this part of the island. We saw examples of different lava flows, the volcanic gases still escaping through tunnels, and the blue brilliance lava stone where lava came into contact with water. We ended at the Teneguía salt flats at sea level, having started around 700m, before grabbing our bus back to port through hair pin bends and narrow country roads. The whole hike was superb, and we were incredibly lucky with the sunshine and subtle winds, the latter of which cab get particularly severe in this area.
    Back in port, a quick jaunt through the town showed off the beautiful architecture and wooden balconies hugging buildings facing the ocean, despite getting caught in a sudden deluge. Back to the ship, a well deserved pint on tired legs before retiring to the balcony to read as we departed.

    Reading update: 80% Children of Fallen Gods, 85% Crucible of Chaos.
    Read more