Satellite
Show on map
  • Jitters and Inspiration, Let's Go!

    October 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    I leave tomorrow on my two week trip. I've got the jitters. And I am deeply inspired. This race is neck and neck. Polling is even. I'm hoping I am up to the task.

    The difference in this race will be how we get out the vote. New York does not permit no-excuse early voting or no-excuse absentee voting. Everyone goes to their polling place on Tuesday, November 6th from 6am to 9pm. It is going to be a long, long, long day. Yup, I got the jitters.

    The campaign is quite impressive. Last weekend, they knocked on 32,000 doors. Think about that. With an ambitious goal of each volunteer knocking on 50 doors per shift (about 2.5 to 3 hours) you are looking at a campaign that corralled over 650 volunteers to canvass out of the 6 campaign offices. That is on top of getting the candidate out at events in all 11 counties in the district (the size of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined), phonebanking for those who can't canvass, volunteers to recruit volunteers, and the general, everyday activities in the offices. It all has to run like clockwork to get every door knocked and every voter to the polls.

    I've been keeping up on the debates, events, ads and endorsements (he got the NY Times last week). Two days ago, Antonio delivered a speech to the Hudson Valley Votes rally that truly inspired me. Take a listen. It will do your heart some good in this crazy time.

    “This is a very important time. We all get it. Whatever fear you have, whatever anxiety you feel, whatever cynicism, skepticism, dispirit. Put that to bed. Let that go. And lean in to your hope. Lean in to your love. Lean in to your strength. Lean in to your community. Be brave. And believe in our power. And let’s win this thing. Let’s go.”
    Candidate for Congress Antonio Delgado (NY 19)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbkqFWAtHE&amp…
    Read more