Satellite
  • Day 6

    495 Years of Pizzaro’s Lima

    January 19, 2020 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Francisco Pizzaro, the conquistador, arrived in Lima 495 years ago. Limeños celebrate January 18th as the founding of Lima with a week of events and activities. Today was the last day. I took the rapid transit bus to the Central Historic District. It was pretty nice and comfortable with separated lane and stations much link the DC Metro or light rail.

    Right when I got off the bus I saw a little park with city-sponsored activities and equipment that I had seen when I was here the last time in 2013 for the Ciclovía Recreactiva conference. Cool. The government seems to fund programs all over the city designed for wellness.

    There are so many places to see: I visited the Plaza San Martin, Plaza de Armas, and several pedestrian streets. Most of the buildings that were built after the founding in 1525 were destroyed in a series of earthquakes over the years. Most of the building I saw were built in the 19th century. The architecture is really nice. And it was really lovely to walk around without worrying about cars zipping by. It was also nice to see so many families and just everyone out celebrating and having fun.

    I spent the day wandering around listening and looking at all the locals and tourists enjoying the day. While I was strolling in La Murallas Park, I met this guy, Moses and his partner, Isa. He is from Venezuela but lives in Lima. Moses spoke excellent English but his girlfriend did not. We exchanged numbers so we could write each other - me in Spanish, her in English. Later that night we chatted with her imperfect English and my somewhat better Spanish. Good to practice. It was fun.

    I found this beautiful library that had an exhibit of a poet I wish I had either taken a picture of or remembered their name. They had a bit of his history, the history of Cuba at the time he was writing and his poetry along the walls. I loved that I could actually read the poetry in Spanish and really understand the feelings and poetry in the words.

    I could find where the restaurants.. so I asked the museum guard where to go. He pointed in the direction of a plaza “over there”. What a find! For the celebration week they had a festival of traditional Peruvian food including guinea pig, whole pan-fried fish, chicken and rice, garlic chicken, grilled beef and pork, choclo (a kind of corn), potatoes with a traditional somewhat creamy spicy sauce, beef stir-fry, ceviche (of course)and lost of desserts. I don’t know if this is only here for this weekend but I want to try (nearly) everything.

    After lunch I took a tour of the convent Santo Domingo. I didn’t understand all that much that the guide was saying but I tried to listen up. She took us up in the bell tower with an incredible view of the whole city. There was a river right there that I hadn’t even seen. It didn’t have much water and they say that by the end of summer it completely dries up.

    Tomorrow is my first day of school. I’m ready. At least I think so.

    Francisco Pizzaro, el conquistador, llegó hace 495 años en Lima. La población celebró por una semana. Esto terminó hoy. Tomé un autobús muy simpatico y cómodo al centro histórico de Lima. Utiliza una via de transporte rápido porque no hay coches en camiones o otro tipo transporte. Se siente como el Metro o tren.

    Llegué y encontré un parque pequeño con actividades que vi cuando viajé en Lima para el congreso de Ciclovías Recreactivas en 2013. ¡Qué bueno! Me parece que el gobierno tiene muchos programas para bienestar de los ciudadanos.

    Visité la Plaza San Martin, la Plaza de Armas, y las calles alrededor solo para peatones solamente. La arquitectura es muy bonita. Aunque la ciudad fue fundada en 1525, los temblores destruyeron los edificios antiguos. Muchos edificios actuales fueron construidos en el siglo XIX. Fue magnífico caminar sin carros alrededor. Y porque fue una celebración, había muchas familias que se divertían en las calles.

    Me dediqué a deambular escuchando y mirando a los limeños y a los turistas divirtiéndose. Conocí un hombre que se llama Moses en el parque de la Murallas. Él es de Venezuela pero ahora vive en Lima. Él me presentó a su novia, Isa. Ella quiere practicar inglés y quiero practicar español. Compartimos nuestros números así que podemos escribirnos textos en inglés y español. Más tarde por la noche, ella me envió unos textos. Fue divertido.

    Encontré la biblioteca. ¡Qué interesante y hermosa! Exhibían las obras de un poeta y leí su historia y unos de las poemas. Me gusta que pude leer las poemas en español. Puedo imaginar las ideas y los sentimientos del poeta.

    No pude encontrar un restaurante así que le pregunté el hombre de la seguridad del museo que restaurante me recomienda? Él señalo una plaza donde había una gran feria de comida! Había muchos platos incluyendo cuy, pescado entero, arroz con pollo, ají de gallina, asado de vaca y cerdo, choclo, papas a la huancaina, lomo saltado, ceviche y muchos postres. No sé si este festival estará aquí otra semana pero quiero comer todo.

    Después de almorzar, fui al convento Santo Domingo. No entendí mucho lo que la guía de turismo dijo pero traté escuchar. Ella nos llevo a la parte superior de la torre del convento con una buena vista de la ciudad entera. Había un río que no vi aunque estaba muy cerca. No tuvo mucho agua y dijeron que el rio no tendría agua hasta el fin del verano.

    Mañana es el primer día de mis clases. Estoy lista. Ojalá que sí.
    Read more