Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Gorge Harbour to Blind Channel

    June 18, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    We were up early to shower and get at least one cup of coffee into us before we left at 7:00 am. We had three sets of rapids to go through before we got to Blind Channel, and we needed the early start to get to the rapids at slack.

    Our first challenge was to get through Uganda Passage. It's a squirrly, shallow, little passage, but it was high tide, and neither Scout nor Yin & Yang had any problems.

    At about 8:30 a.m., we were just heading into Whale Passage when, funnily enough, we encountered 3 humpback whales. We gave them lots of space, but I did manage to snap a few photos.

    We met up with A Great Escape just before Stuart Island to muster for our trip through the rapids. We were traveling with the current, and although we all had our engines mostly idling, we scooted through the Yuculta Rapids at about 7 knots. After that, we puttered slowly up to Dent Rapids. At flood or ebb, there is a large whirlpool that forms called Devil's Hole. The chart warns that "violent eddies and whirlpools form at Devil's Hole."

    In the end, the trip through the rapids turned out to be a non-event entirely because Jon had researched the area well. He knew exactly when we needed to go through the rapids so that it would just be a lot of swirling water rather than a dangerous and frightening experience. It would have been very cool to hang out there for a day just to see what happens during flooding and ebbing. I've heard it's wild, and now that I've been through, I'll check out the YouTube videos.

    We arrived at Blind Channel Marina at about 1:30 pm. The marina is on a channel that has quite a bit of current. A Great Escape had motored ahead to so they could get tied up before the maximum current rushed through there. Yin & Yang and Scout ended up safely tied up beside Great Escape.

    We all decided to go for a hike to see an old-growth cedar that had been left when the area was logged 100 years ago. This cedar is estimated to be about 800 years old. It was quite awe-inspiring. We carried on and somehow or other lost the trail. We went off script trying to find our way back to the marina and ended up bush-whacking back to the trail.

    We were definitely ready for some refreshments and thoroughly enjoyed appetizers and a bespoke cocktail, aptly named "The Stern Tie," provided by the lovely Cruisers on Great Escape.

    Scout and Yin & Yang finished the day with a very good meal at the marina restaurant in honor of Father's Day.
    Read more