Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Blind Channel to Lagoon Cove

    June 19, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We were woken by Jon's alarm at the ungodly hour of 3:30 am. This was actually intentional. We needed to get through some rapids at slack and then get into Johnstone Strait early before winds picked up as they usually do later in the day.

    When we left the dock at Blind Channel, it was barely light enough to see, and I looked back with envy at A Great Escape. Being a larger boat, the narrow channels we were heading into would not have been fun for them. They were all tucked up in bed and, at a more civilized hour, would cruise through Johnstone Strait to our next destination.

    From Blind Channel, we retraced our steps a short distance north and then turned northwest to go through Greene Point Rapids and then west into Chancellor Channel. The current was with us, so we made excellent time.

    We headed northwest at Wellbore Channel and carried on through Whirlpool Rapids, where we scuttled through at 11 knots with very little help from our engine! We turned to the southwest at Sunderland Channel and eventually connected up to Johnstone Strait. This is where I abandoned my post and had a lovely nap for an hour or so.

    We were pleasantly surprised to find that, although it was a gloomy, cloudy day, winds were very light, exactly as predicted. In hindsight, we could have slept in and taken A Great Escape's route up Johnstone Strait. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20 vision, and you just never know how accurate weather predictions are. After our experience in Malaspina Strait the other day, I was more than happy to play it safe! And the scenery was beautiful!!

    After 13 nautical miles in Johnstone Strait, we turned north and then northeast to get to Havannah Channel. The water was glassy calm, and I made us some tea to enjoy while we sat just at the entrance to Chatham Channel to wait for A Great Escape to catch up.

    We all went through Chatham Channel together and then split up at the Blow Hole, a shortcut past Minstral Island to Lagoon Cove. A Great Escape went around Minstral Island as the Blow Hole is a very narrow, shallow channel.

    We spent the afternoon kayaking, paddle boarding, and hiking, and then at 5:00 pm all the marina guests made their way to a large deck for Happy Hour. The marina provided delicious prawns and sauce, and guests brought their own drinks and appetizers to share. At one point during Happy Hour, Kelly, an amazing marina emplyee, spotted a grizzly bear and her cub on a far shore. It was the icing on the cake of a very pleasant hour spent visiting, and we were all charmed by the wonderful hospitality of Lagoon Cove Marina. We all agreed that we would definitely make this a stop on future cruises.

    We went our separate ways for supper, and then later, just when you thought the day couldn't be more perfect, the setting sun provided a specular sunset for us all.
    Read more