Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Ucluelet to Quadra Island

    August 3, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We were up at 7:00 a.m. and at Barkley's Cafe by 8:00 a.m. for our morning lattes. We got on the road by 9:00 a.m. so that we could get to choke point on the highway in good time. So the highway is completely closed from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except for two hours between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30p.m. They let cars heading west go through the one open lane for an hour, and then they let cars traveling east go through for an hour. If you're not close enough to the front on either side, you miss the opening and have to wait till 5:00 p.m. We got through no problem, but there was a very long line of cars waiting to go west. I don't think there is any way that they all would have made it through in the allotted hour. Always check Drive BC if you're going anywhere in this province.

    We traveled up the Inland Island Highway to Comox, where we stopped for lunch. After lunch, we carried on to Campbell River, staying off the main highway. We preferred the more scenic highway 19A, which takes you right through the main commercial area of town and right to the ferry terminal to Quadra Island. After a short wait and a 10 minute ferry ride, we were on Quadra Island. We made our way to Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge.

    Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge is a beautiful hotel and dining facility on the shores of Quadra Island. Unfortunately, if you've never been here and if you don't get here before October 1, you'll never have the chance again. In the fall, they are transitioning this facility to a private Wellness Centre for First Nations people. I'm very glad we got to stay here before it closes to the public.

    We had a good meal in the dining room, then availed ourselves of the complimentary bicycles and did a short ride to a nearby lighthouse. Another very good day.
    Read more